Starting July 1st, Chrome 68 will begin labelling all websites without SSL as insecure. Don't let your site be one of them.
Google Chrome, one of the most popular web browsers worldwide, is about to take a significant step towards online security. As of July 1st, Chrome version 68 will mark all websites that lack a secure SSL certificate as insecure. This measure aims to protect users and strengthen trust in the online environment.
What does this mean for website owners? It means that it is crucial to adopt an SSL certificate now to avoid being labelled as an insecure site. An SSL certificate, also known as Secure Sockets Layer, secures the communication between a website and its users. It encrypts the exchanged data, safeguarding user privacy and preventing potential attacks.
The benefits of adopting an SSL certificate go beyond avoiding the "not secure" label in Chrome. Here are a few reasons why transitioning to SSL is essential:
- Safer user experience: By adopting an SSL certificate, you demonstrate to your visitors that you take their online security seriously. This creates a trustful atmosphere and encourages them to stay longer on your site, enhancing their overall experience.
- Protection of user privacy: SSL ensures that sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords, and payment data, is encrypted during transfer over the internet. This protects user privacy and reduces the risk of data theft or compromise.
- Increased conversions: When visitors see the green padlock symbol or the "https://" prefix in their browser's address bar, they feel secure to make transactions or share personal information. This can lead to increased conversions, sales, and sign-ups on your site.
- Improved search engine rankings: Search engines, including Google, favor secure websites. By adopting an SSL certificate, you improve your ranking in search results, which can increase your online visibility and attract more qualified traffic.
- Enhanced user trust: Internet users are becoming more aware of online risks and look for security indicators when browsing the web. By displaying an SSL certificate, you demonstrate your commitment to security and earn user trust, which can result in increased loyalty and positive recommendations.
In conclusion, with the imminent arrival of Chrome 68 labelling websites without SSL as insecure, it is crucial for website owners to take action now. Adopting an SSL certificate offers a range of benefits, from protecting user privacy to improving search engine rankings. Don't let your site be included in the list of insecure sites—invest in an SSL certificate today and show your visitors that their security is a priority for you.